Thursday, September 25, 2008

G.A.M.F.

SUCCESS. internet has arrived and I have been getting my fill from these past few hours. Which means I have been doing nothing really. But Ole Papa bear and I had a lovely chat on skype and we will be continueing this chat in a few hours time.
So now I have no excuse for not staying in touch with anyone. And I will be able to update my blog whenever I want.
So, I will give you an overview of my daily life in France/Saint Germain en Laye.
I wake up at 7:00 am on average and set the table for breakfast by 7:30. This consists of cereal for the children and Croc Meusli for me. OH its good. Valerie (the nanny) brought a glass jar of fresh squeezed cow milk the other day. It had a nutty flavor - I felt healthy drinking it... maybe because my homo erectus sensor was telling me it was high in fat?
I will have some coffee or tea.. depending on the state of my throat... dairy has become a vice for me...
The children go off to school and my day begins. I sometimes fall back asleep but mostly I work on my photo album which is itchingly close to being done. I have a lot of writing to do but I have made a lot of head way.
The days have been getting more interesting as I go into Paris to meet a Swedish freind or two - Josephine or Joanna or both.
Ah the metro ride. There is actually the metro and the RER - and I take the RER but its basically the same thing. I walk through my ally way and through the town to the station where a train is always waiting as its the last stop on the line. And there is always plenty of seats.

There really isn't a homeless population here. There is the occaisional Roma that asks for money I am assuming but I dont know french. And they don't approach you. On the metro they get between the cars and announce something - their story and why they need money. Or I have seen a few different people put nicely typed cards on the seats or windows and then come back around and pick them up. This took me a few times to figure out what they were doing but I guess its a polite way to ask for money while describing their story. Why they aren't taking this time to get a job beats me but maybe it explains it all on the card?
And walking through the metro underground there are plenty of poeple playing music. A lot of accordian players! I want to give them money to go to Portland - they would make BANK.
It's no lie, the baguette is truley a masterpiece of not only taste but sound. The crunch of breaking a peiece off acts as the bell of Pavlovs dog - my mouth begins to salavate. They range from 1.10 euros to .80 cents. So along my walks home or to town I can just pop into a shop
"Une Baguette si-vous-plait"?
"Oui"
"Merci"
"Bonne Journe"
"Bonne Journe"
You can see plenty of men and women walking down the street, baguette cluched closely to their person with little sections nibbled off.
It is very clean here but not in an annoying sterile way. Just nicely maintained.
Everyone is atractive it seems. Even the children are so nicely dressed.
Picking the kids up is very fun. I return home from my day by 4 and put together their "De gutay" that is not how you spell it but its the best way to spell it for proper pronounciation.
This is their snack that they get right after school as it has been four hours since lunch and they are hungry. This is usually a section of baguette with nutella or honey. or some cakes as they say but they are sweet crakcers. or cookies. and then a banana or sliced apples.
I used to hate picking the kids up but now I am used to it and it goes along very well and we get home safely.
Thibault has a deep fascination with cars so it takes some time to ge home because he just stops and stares at cars driving or a motorcycle. its very cute.
So I need to take more pictures of my daily adventures and post them here.
But looky here! A video I made oof the house. The lighting was bad so I look odd i think in this but whatever.
enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love to hear you clacking around on those shoes, and that you wouldn't go down into the basement, and that you flail your hands around like we do at the end when you say "very private", i miss you so much, it's really nice to hear your voice even though it sounds kind of different on a camera. i love you sweet thing, glad that i am keeping an eye on you from your wall, eat lots of that yogurt got to have strong bones to come back to me because that hug is going to hurt i love you love caitlin