Thursday, September 4, 2008

Je suis ici.

Finally. I found internet. They have just moved into this new house that is lovely but the workers are still not done with it so they are here during the day banging and pounding and making all sorts of noise. They have a lot to do to get organized and haven't yet been able to hook up the internet. Sarah is very busy (work, talking withe the painters, contracters every day and FOUR CHILDREN) and Jean-Phillipe works from 9 (or eailer) to mostly 10... very long hours. And he takes many busniess trips.
I don't know if it was different before but it is a lot for the kids to take, new house, new school, new au pair. A lot coming at them. But each day has been getting better. The hardest is at night puting them to bed. Maybe because we eat dinner with sweets right before hand...? I am excited to meet other au pairs and see the simularties in the families and differences. The kids eat a lot of 'sweeties' as they call them. I like that. For dinner the other night they got crepes with honey and nutella. But usually we get pasta and a vegetable. But desert is a must have and contains a lot of sugar, but to give some credit yes they will have grapes or prunes for desert which they love. For breakfast; muesli for me and yogurt with honey... and yes a cup of coffee. The kids usually coco crunchies cerial, and yogurt.
Lunch is big, usually the same deal as dinner, a main course and a vegetable and of course a desert. And yes. yogurt. Yogurt is at every meal and between meals and snaks. yogurt yogurt yogurt. Sarah told me to go to the Monoprix (supermarket) and look at the yogurt section - its emense and all very very delcious.
I pick the children up from school and bring them a snack - a chocolate busicuts and pomme compot (apple juice).
The town is very lovely but laid out differently than home of course - and for me with my odd sence of direction get lost very eaisly. It takes me a while to find a place and I have given in to useing my Saint Germain map. Today I was particularly dertermind to find internet and when I went to the Biblioteque it was closed and in reading the sign for the times I took that it opened at 12. So I went back to the house and waited. In returning, apprently it is closed on thuresdays. So I went in search for the office de toursime - cloesd as well.
Today actually I woke up at 5:30 to got to Versaille to get my appointment for my long term stay card - this is the system; I had to get on the 6:30 bus and take it to the last stop, about 30 minutes. Than I found the building and waited in line for it to open at 8:30, yes there was already a long line at 7:30. I read my book and waited. and waited. and waited. Than they slowly allow you in 3-4 at a time to than wait in another line. Than I got a number to wait in another line to make the appintment which isn't untill october 2nd. yes. i know.
My french has improved a lot in just a week. It doesnt feel like a week but it doesn't feel like a long time eaither. Sarah - the mother- found a phone at the house that I can use but I have to pre pay it. But I can reseve phone calls which I think is really cool.
If you want the number email me and ask me plantsandanimals@gmail.com

So I guess the family yes? The kids are very sweet. I showed Camille my photo album and collaging and now everyday she askes "annie can we college?" she loves cutting out all sorts of things and telling me how she can use them and where she will put it and how nice it looks.
Charlotte, age five,throws A LOT of tantrums. a lot. She screams very loud, meerly a bump on the leg will set her off. But she also can be the sweetest thing. She came up to the me the other day and pulled me down to give me a kiss on the cheek. She likes to have her way a lot and have controll. I am not sure yet what she is into so I have been trying to find out. When Camille and I college she doesn't like to do it or will get frustrated.
Both girls a very good at their english. Actually I try to get them to speak to me in french but they usually just switch back. Its amazing to watch them, they will talk to each other or Thibault or mom and dad or the other nanny in french but switch so eaisly to me in english. Their brain just knows and its really amazing - they dont know how good it is now and how hard it would be later.
Thibault is in his own world most of the time. He also throws a lot of tantrums, taking things off counters and throwing them on the floor, making high pitched screaching noises and continues for a long time. I found that its a bad idea to look at him while he does this, he gets very mad when you look at him when hes upset. He loves loves loves cars and planes. He can entertain himself with one toy for a long time making car noises and going around the room. He doesnt like to speak english and understands a little. I am trying to teach him the 'head, shoulders knees and toes' song. The funniest thing I found the other day with him was in the bath. He was playing with some toys and I wanted to take a picture. I had to call his name several times but once he looked up and saw I had the camera pointing at him he smiles big.
Ines! Oh Ines! The sweetest tiny little baby. She is so easy and so advanced for her age. It amazes me so much. She is very very very independent. As long as I close the doors and keep an eye on her she can just walk around the room looking at things. If she wants something she may cry but its usually just to be held or food or drink. Once given to her she immediantly stops. And she is so sweet when you hold her. She snuggles her head into my kneck and shoulder. She loves to be kissed. She is also incredibly photogetic as you can see below.
Sarah the mother is amazing. I really had no idea these kids were going to be hard. Not that I expected it to be easy but the tantrums really wear on me after a while - mostly I get stressed out. But I bet my mom reading this isnt surprised and would say that its children...
But I don't think I will have this many... which before I had planned to do. I will spread out the ages.
So usually my days have been spent going to paris or walking around saint germain. I am trying to know the town very well.
So my toushie is past the point of numbness and I am cold outside. But yes I have internet and will continue to post. Plus I am sure I forgot to include some things - there was a lot to say.
I love you all.

a.

No comments: